Friday, June 6, 2008

Buffy 101


Buffy the Vampire Slayer will be the subject of a three-day academic conference at Henderson State University in Little Rock, AK.

Philosophy professor Kevin Durand said on Buffy, "It has staying power. It's like I tell my students in philosophy a lot of times: We're not so much about necessarily finding all the answers as wanting to ask better questions. 'Buffy,' I think, does that. 'Buffy' never really leaves you with nice, pat answers. You have even more questions than when you started."

Other works by creator Joss Whedon will be covered as well. Some topics that will be discussed:"Buffy and Feminism," "Buffy and Identity," "Gender Stereotypes and the Image of Domesticity in 'Firefly,' " " 'Firefly': The Illusive Safety of Big Damn Heroes" and a Durand favorite by a British scholar, "Hero's Journey, Heroine's Return: Buffy, Eurydice and the Orpheus Myth." Strangely,"Buffy and my easy credit," was left off the list.

If I lived in Little Rock, I'd go just for the hot Buffy/Spike episodes!

SOURCE

No comments: