Thursday, November 1, 2007

30 years to build a career, one and a half minutes to end it



The National Enquirer has obtained an audio tape of a phone conversation between Duane "Dog The Bounty Hunter" Chapman and his son Tucker in which Dog repeatedly drops the N-bomb when referring to Tucker's girlfriend Monique Shinnery. In the rant, which you can hear here, Dog orders his son to break-up with his girlfriend because he is afraid she is going to blab to the media that he uses that word and end his career. Kind of funny that he managed to do it himself while talking about being afraid of it happening.

As a result civil rights groups are outraged , A&E has suspended production on Dog's show, and Dog has issued a lame-ass apology that no one is going to buy:


" I did not mean to add yet another slap in the face to an entire race of people who have brought so many gifts to this world. I am ashamed of myself and I pledge to do whatever I can to repair this damage I have caused. My sincerest, heartfelt apologies go out to every person I have offended for my regrettable use of very inappropriate language. I am deeply disappointed in myself for speaking out of anger to my son and using such a hateful term in a private phone conversation.

I was disappointed in his choice of a friend, not due to her race, but her character," he said. However, I should have never used that term. I know that all of my fans are deeply disappointed in me, as well, as I have tried to be a model for doing the right thing. I did not do the right thing this time, and hope you will forgive me."


Dog is also meeting with his spiritual adviser, Rev. Tim Storey, who is black, and wants to meet with other black leaders, "so they can see who I really am and teach me the right thing to do to make things right, again." What, no rehab?

Ok, this whole thing makes no sense to me. First of all, Dog wants his son to dump his girlfriend because he's afraid she is going to expose his use of racial slurs. Wouldn't she be more likely to do that if she got dumped? Especially if she got dumped because her boyfriend's father told him to dump her because she's black? Second, who was recording the phone conversation? Third, if Dog is so afraid of being labeled a bigot, why would he use the N-word SIX times in less than two minutes? (I'm so afraid of it, I won't even type it out here!) Wouldn't he think to maybe make an effort not to use it, or at least use it less than SIX times in less than two minutes? Fourth, why would Beth, such a stylish and sophisticated woman, marry someone that talks like that?

All these questions are making my head hurt and I'm on a major Halloween sugar crash.

SOURCE


No comments: